Friday, March 28, 2008

Corrections and Motherhood

Correction: I would like to start off by saying my mom told me I was actually 8lbs 3 oz when I was born. So how much does that bring down the average?! Is it possible for me to have a 7pounder?!..Didn't think so

On to other things...
Last night was a Thursday. Josh has gotten into this habit of taking off on Fridays, mostly so he can stay home at watch some of the March Madness tournament, but partly because the last two Fridays have been beautiful. Since I am trying to rack up some hours that will help during the maternity leave, I have been going to work on said Fridays.
Anyway, last night Josh informed me that when I went to bed he was going to walk to Neptune's for a few beers to watch the game. Netpune's is a little dive bar with food that will make you think you are at a fine dining restaurant. Interesting combination to say the least.
This bar is about a mile from our house and we frequently walk there in the summer, when it is nice out. Josh was choosing to walk last night because he wanted to drink a few beers and did not want to leave his car there. Responsible.
However, for some reason I freaked out. I told him he had to text message me when he left the house, again when he got there, again when the left the bar and again when he got home, as I would probably be sleeping. I was serious too. SERIOUS. That is 4...count them 4 text messages for a trip that would take Josh 1 mile from our house. This was actually the compromise I came up with after I begged him not to go, or at least not to walk there, because I just KNEW something bad would happen. (not to ruin the end, but nothing bad happened)

Now a little side story about our town. It is very Leave it to Beaver if the Beav were at the beach and most people are missing some teeth and cut-off jean shorts with either an ill-fitting tank top or no shirt at all are the outfits of choice, shoes always optional.
North Beach is charming in the same way an old lady who wears every piece of jewelry she owns all at one time to the grocery store. We try to dress ourselves up, but really we are just a big old happy mess. There is no real danger here unless you have a problem talking to locals about how before the Bay Bridge was built North Beach was what Ocean City is today.
What an accomplishment!

Anyway, Josh was making fun of me saying that pregnancy has made me an even bigger (if that is possible) worrywart. If he did in fact encounter "trouble" he likely could have pulled the- "Hey look over there!" while he runs/or slowly trots even, in the opposite direction- trick and safely gotten away.

My reaction concerns me because I want well-adjusted, socially acceptable, self reliant kids, but at what cost? Am I going to be one of those mom's who stalks her kids in her minivan? Am I not going to allow my kids to see PG movies until they are 16? 16?! That means they will be driving! I already have a rule in place that our kids are not allowed to talk on the phone when they are driving. Josh told me by then, cell phones will be obsolete and so will my rule. Darn those kids, always finding a loop hole.

Here's to hoping I am not a "Flowers in the Attic" style mom!

No comments: