Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rock, Paper, Scissors

I feel the need to begin with a disclaimer.  Something happened recently that made me rethink this whole blog thing.  My plan was to write still, but not making it public.

BUT

I love that I have 17 followers.  I can't believe people I do not even know read this blog!  When you tell me that I  made you laugh, I am over the moon.  However, this blog is more or less for me and my family.  I started it to created a timeline of event, milestones and feelings I have in my journey of being a wife and a mother.  If some thing offends you, I'm sorry, that is not my intent.  I feel censoring myself takes away from the orginial intent/spirit of this blog. 

I've spent too much time explaining myself already.

Moving on-
Last weekend Josh and I had a Parker-free weekend.  He went to my parents house for boat rides, cotton candy (for dinner) and SunFest.  J and I had to pick out doors, knobs, countertops, faucets, flooring, appliances, lighten fixtures andthe list goes on- for the house we  will be moving into.  When the design center called to make our color appointment they said it took all day and no children are allowed in the building.

Sidenote: If I had told Josh, "Hey the design center called about our color appointment..."  I bet he would have thought I was forcing him onto some version of "Extreme Makeover" thereby causing him to run and hide like a woodland creature, never to be seen again.  Go me for not wording it that way

Leading up this meeting, the only other time we have really had to pick things out together was for our wedding.  We pretty much planned the whole thing about 3 months, not because we had to, but because it was that easy.  Because of this, I was not at all nervous about picking things out for the new house.

Once we got to the design center we zoomed through the outside items- brick, door, windows. 
Flooring- a breeze! 
Kitchen? Puh-leeze, mere childs play for us. 
The master bathroom- easy squeezy.

After picking everything we liked, we saw the new price of the house and elimiated some things. With the smoothness of a hot knife cutting through butter, we shaved about five grand off the final price.

Four hours after we walked in, we were getting back in our car.  All day you say? Not for the Phillips.
No Josh and I are not so in sinc that we immediatly agree on everything.  No I did not bully Josh into hot pink counter tops. 

For this (and our wedding, and picking movies and whether or to have chinese or pizza for dinner) we played a round of rock, paper, scissor. One, two, three shoot.  No 2 out of 3, no do-overs.  It's a one shot deal.

For example: I wanted darker counter tops in the kitchen, Josh wanted this sage-y color.  Both looked nice.  One, two, three shoot.  Sage-y counter tops it is.

People are always shocked when they see us do this and stick to the choice or the winner.  It is as if they don't really believe what they are seeing. To me the amazing thing is that nearly every time Josh and I do this, we throw the same thing out first- be it rock, scissors, or paper.

The key is to respect the RPS.  Once a choiceis made, it's made.

Another good hint is to not do this about major issues or if you have strong opinions either way.  If you HATE Thai, but your honey wants to go to Lemongrass for dinner, RPS, won't make you like Thai.  I also do not recommend RPS to say, decide whether or not to have another baby.

It relieves tension. It's quick and avoids a potenial arguement.
In the words of the DJ Lance and he alien-like toy things on Yo Gabba Gabba- Try it! You'll like it!

No comments: