Monday, March 24, 2008

This is all new to me

I know some of you have had babies. Other's are very close to people who have had them. I realize that nothing I am about to disclose is new information, but this is my first pregnancy and some of these things are new to me.

The Great Abyss...aka the floor:
I am not huge...yet. I am definitely getting bigger and bigger seemingly by the nano-second, but if I stand up, I can still see me feet. (Ok ok, so I can really only see my toes, but they count!) Moving on... my point is that it is getting harder and harder for me to bend down to pick things up. It's not the trip down that is the tricky part, it's coming back up. I have a feeling I'm going to have gladiator-style legs when this is all said and done. I mean they are better than jelly thighs, but still not quite the look I am going for.
The other day I was grocery shopping and dropped a coupon. As I watch my coupon for Ben and Jerry's "buy one pint of ice cream, get the second 1/2 half off" flutter the ground with grace and elegance, I could not help but shed a tear. I LOVE ice cream. However, the thought of attempting to bend down and struggling to pick up a glossy piece of paper of the glossy grocery store floor, just was not worth it. Alas, I hope who ever picked up the coupon enjoyed the ice cream as much as I would have.

Bladder control, really?!
I read somewhere recently that at this stage of pregnancy I will probably be spending a lot more time in the bathroom. The frequency will likely only increase as...well as my size increases. Way back on October 2007, a trigger that keyed me in that I may be pregnant was the fact that in a 3 hour time span I peed about 20 times. This frequency has been something that has stuck with since that moment when two lines appeared on the EPT. However, this is not about the frequency as much as it is about the control.
I also read somewhere that I should think of the situation as though my bladder and baby are fighting over the arm rest in a movie theatre...and my bladder is loosing. Is it ever!?
Sneezing and coughing are my nemesis' and for a girl who is getting over a cold, things are not good in the dry underwear department for me. I am DREADING allergy season for many reasons, but mostly because I thought I would at least be 70 before I would have to ask Josh to change my diapers. At this rate poor Josh will have to change Parker and me several time a day.

I swear it still fits! I swear!
I am still working out throughout this pregnancy. It is at a MUCH slower pace than pre-pregnancy, but I feel any physical activity is good for both delivery and the post-pregnancy body. I used to wear tank tops and shorts when I worked out. Early on in the pregnancy, I switched from shorts to capri's, partly because it was getting colder and partly because I just felt weird in shorts. I could still fit into my tank tops. That has all changed. I now wear Josh's t-shirts, because they are the only things fit over my belly. I'm talking about going from women's tank tops size medium to men's large t-shirts! Not cute.

Finally- Shoes:
I have not had the pleasure of doing this yet, but I want to sound off a bit on a topic that seems to be fairly common. Before I go on, I will say, I do not think I will suffer this fate, but I am sure others would have said the same. I have heard about the phenomenon of very pregnant women accidentally putting on mismatched shoes because they could not actually see their feet. Now, I have several different pairs of shoes I wear regularly. They all feel distinctly different on my feet. Therefore, I do not foresee that I will be wearing one brown wedge with a black ballet flat. I mean they FEEL DIFFERENT. The other shoes I wear requiring tying (which I can still do if I am sitting in a chair!) This leads me to believe again I would see and feel the difference in the shoes. I hope I am not putting my own nail in the coffin with this. If you see me wearing two different shoes, please refrain from saying anything and let me go about my day.

p.s. My feet are not swollen and I figure if/when I hit that point, I will mostly be wearing flip-flops anyway!

No comments: