Friday, August 15, 2008

Poop, drugs and rock n' roll

I am gearing up for another trip to G-ma and G-pa's house. We leave next Wednesday, I am mentally making my packing list now...5 days early.

One thing I know I need more of is diapers. When we went last time I took a new pack of 44 diapers, thinking that would be enough for a 5 day trip. I was off by 8 diapers and wouldn't you know they do not sell them in singles, so I had to buy another pack. This time I will know that and will come armed with the proper amount of poop-catchers. Although, as of this moment Parker has not pooped in about 14 hours and I am scared.

I am not scared because I think something is wrong, for gas is being passed, just no bowel. I am scared because I know there is an impending explosion and I am on the receiving end. It's like when you were a kid and you broke your mom's porcelain...something and attempted to glue it back together and placed it strategically back on the shelf so she will not see it. However, every time she went into the room where said broken-"repaired"- porcelain whatever was, you braced yourself for the inevitable. Your jaw tightened, you broke out in a a sweat and you were desperately looking for someone else to clean up your dirty work.

I'm thinking about cutting feet holes into a Ziploc freezer bag and just putting Parker in that until the explosion occurs.
Thoughts?

One reason for the non-poop issue may be this new infant anti-gas medicine I found called Gripe Water. Although I have come to LOVE Gripe Water and I really think the cause of his back-up is due to the fact that he has had more formula in the last 24 hours than breast milk due to the fact that I am trying to build up my supply in the freezer. I horde breast milk like a squirrel hordes nuts. They are like little frozen trophies or something. I cannot explain it, but if you have ever pumped/nursed a baby you understand.
Back to the Gripe Water. This stuff is like baby crack. If Parker gets the hiccups, which is often, I let him go until he starts to get pissy about them and then I give him half a dose of Gripe Water and presto, hiccups gone, happy baby back! If you know someone who is going to have a baby and you love them, you may want to investigate Gripe Water for them. It can be hard to find, but I talked to my pediatrician and she said if I can get my hands on it and it works, go for it. It is from Thailand or something, but like any desperate mother, if it works--I say GIVEITTOME!

Another item you may want to gift to a new mom is something from the website swaddledesigns.com, look at their swaddle blankets. Now, I know they sell blankets for swaddling everywhere and for a little less money. I am telling you, these swaddle blankets are the best!! They are big and soft and no matter how much Parker kicks his little feet, it does not come unswaddled. I have made it my mission to buy one of these for all the pregnant ladies I know. In return maybe I can get the fine swaddle design people to sponsor this blog or something...

Finally, I hate kid's cartoons and songs. We have attempted to watch The Backyardigans and some other show that involves a hamspter, turtle and so other animal and they sing a lot about teamwork. Instead Parker and I watch a lot of Will and Grace and Frasier because I think they have a good amount of quick-wit and intelligent humor. Two things I hope Parker (and all my children) posses. We also do not listen to any Disney or other silly children CD's in the car. We listen to Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Van Morrison and Dave Matthews to name a few. I want Parker to know where good music comes from. I tell him who is singing whatever song is on the radio and tell him any memories I may have linked to that song. (Don't worry, I make them G-rated). I think it will help him know me and the world of music a bit better than the "Wheels on the Bus" will. However, I have flashed forward to when he is in Kindergarten and while the other kids are singing "This Old Man" my son will be signing "All Along the Watchtower" and immediately be labeled a stoner.

Am I setting him up for failure?

P.S. Parker gives shout-outs to his aunt's Lynsey and Megan who both had birthday's this summer...

No comments: