Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm just going to run to the store


"Kissy Face"


Think about your weekend. How many times did you say, "I'm just going to run to the store. I'll be right back." I bet you said it at least once. I will also bet that before you even finished the phrase you had run your errand and were on your way home. This is unless you have a kid.

I have learned that "I'm just going to run to the store. I'll be right back." is a laughable phrase. This is because it gives the illusion of things happening quickly. The only things that happen quickly are the headaches that come during/after one of Parker's screaming sessions, the groggy trip down the stairs in the middle of the night to feed him and how dirty the house gets mere seconds after I clean it. (Which, p.s. is not often these days.) Actually that is not that fair, Parker has had a few night where he has slept all the way through and even on his worse nights he only gets up once or twice, so I better shut-up about that.

Back to the point at hand- moving quickly from point A to point B is a non-possiblity now. When I make the choice to go to the store to just to pick up a few things, I end up being gone for about 4 days. Us new mom's have to think about the following things:
-Does his diaper need to be changed?
-Is it likely that it will need to be changed while we are out? If I do not bring diapers there is guaranteed to be an explosion worthy of a HAZMAT team, so I might as well change him now and bring a jumbo pack of diapers with me.
-When is he suppose to eat again? I will bring a bottle just in case...maybe I will bring two just in case, never know when there may be traffic, nevermind the store is pretty much within walking distance.
-Hummm the store is within walking distance, should I walk and try to burn some extra mommy calories?
-No I will drive.
-Is the stroller in the car? Yes! I'm so on the ball!
-But maybe I should make sure the baby holster is in there too because how am I going to push a cart and a stroller?
-Should I change the baby so he is in warmer clothes, grocery stores/Walmart/etc. can get cold?

The whole thing makes me want to turn Amish and live off the land...HA! I bet Jedidiah's wife isn't worried about pushing a stroller and a grocery cart at the same time.

Clearly you can see how a "quick trip" to the store is anything but.
By the time you leave the house you are so bogged down with crap it's not even worth it.
Also, while at the store you have to deal with the other people who ventured out that day. When people in Target stop me to see how old he is and then ask to see his face as I am balancing him, a box of wipes, a new pair of shoes, CD, dog treats and something I am going to try and pass off as dinner all in my arms, I want to SCREAM at them and say, "Take the baby ok, hold him and stare at his face while I load up the car...you are not like a sex offender or kidnapper are you?!"

I'm learning this is all a balancing act between my life prior to mommyhood and my life now, between what was important and what is important and between tv shows I used to love to watch and reading to Parker. Yes I read to him and he seems to like it I swear.

So if you learn something from me today learn that being a mom does not mean giving up the person you are now, in fact if you do give up that person you will go crazy.

Also, I will share with you the best thing in the world. It has nothing to do with cheesecake or chocolate, nor does it even compare to an affordable Prada purse or fitting into jeans you wore in high school. The best thing in the world is when your son looks you straight in the eyes and smiles at you because you are his mommy.


No comments: