Friday, August 10, 2012

Run.

In about 35 days I will be running my first half marathon.

A couple months ago I ran in a 5K Race for the Cure.  I did it with a couple friends from my neighborhood.  Around mile 2.5 one of the ladies I was with asked me why I run.

I gave her some canned answer about wanting my jeans to fit.  Then I confessed that was not the real reason.

Then I said, "I know this is cheesy, but I run to show my kids you can do it."  Another racer heard me and said, "That's not cheesy, it's genuine."

The it is not important, finding the will and drive to accomplish a goal is what I want the P's to learn.

However, that is not the only reason.

I run because I have a supportive husband who high-fives me when I return from a long two hour run. Josh has not complained once or made me feel bad about my running schedule, even when we were on vacation.

I run because he lets me take a nap in the middle of the day when the kids go down for naps, even though I should be doing laundry for the week.

I run because it makes me a happier person.  Some how things that get me worked up are worked out by the time I get home.

I run because I never thought I could and some how I just keep doing it.

I run because I am capable.

I run because my jean size is shrinking and I am in two weddings between October and March.

I run because it is efficient.

I run because one of my besties asked me to and I could not let her down.

I run because it makes me feel tougher and stronger.

Finally, and this is really the hardest to admit, but the base of it all, I run because I love it.

This is honestly what I chant in my head as I'm hitting mile 9 and all I want to do it stop and call a cab.

Run on.

1 comment:

mom said...

You go, girl! Keep running-the physical and mental benefits are worth it. I love you.