Monday, January 26, 2009

On a Serious Note

Before I begin, Parker, Josh and I are fine. This is just a reflection of goings on that my mind will not let go of.

I only know the basic facts, so unfortunately I cannot soften this event with comforting details. I found out that last week a little girl, 2 1/2 years old, passed away. She choked on a carrot. She was an only child and went to the day care at the gym the same times as Parker. He did not really play with her since they are so far apart in age, but I remember seeing her play with the other kids.
Her funeral was last night. There was an open casket. I did not go, but I know people who did.

Everyone at the gym, even people who do not have kids in the day care, were talking about this horrible thing. Calvert County is small and things like this do not go unmentioned among the community members.

I don't know, and I'm not sure I would want to know, why some babies are born healthy, some not so much. Some go onto to be parents themselves and some fall victims to tragedies like this poor girl. I'm just feeling really thankful that I am able to hold my little monkey and listen to him laugh and watch him figure things out in the world around him. He is starting to eat those baby teething cookies. I can't help but let my mind wander. I know that he cannot eat pureed peas forever, but right now that is my plan!

No comments: